'The Ridges': What Twitter had to say...

September 13, 2012, 8:58 amYahoo! New Zealand

The Ridges : What Twitter had to say...
Rating:
(2.06)
Follow Yahoo! New Zealand Entertainment on Twitter - @YahooNZGossip or like us on Facebook

While the debut episode of 'The Ridges' failed to break ratings records last night - attracting 325,130 viewers compared with over 370,000 for The GC's first episode and 934,820 for NZ's Got Talent's debut show - predictably, TV3's new reality show took over Twitter feeds around New Zealand.

As Sally and Jaime Ridge flicked through magazines, bought an old villa and screamed at an unsuspecting mouse, people around the country went online to share their thoughts on what was unfolding on their TV screens.

Some thought the mouse was the breakout star of Episode One:

"On next week's ep: The mouse embarks on a life changing adventure across NZ to return to his family! Jamie and Sally go to SPQR." - Rose Matafeo

"That's the cleanest most beautifully groomed mouse I have ever seen - it would be a pleasure to have it in my house." – Ali Ikram

Others were bemused as to why both Sally and Jaime both use the Ridge surname when they said there was no longer any relationship with the man from whom they took that name:

"Somewhere in Auckland city, Matthew Ridge softly weeps, lamenting the ancient practice of gifting one's surname in wedlock." – Matt Gibb

Marcus Lush was disgusted with the confusion between which member of True Bliss is currently shacked up with Matthew Ridge.

"The thing that staggered me most about the tweets about the ridges is that no one seems to have any understanding of their true bliss basics (sic)."

And others just had some plain nasty things to say about the Ridge women and their TV show.

"11 years ago today we all wondered if the world was ending. Tonight, we are wondering the same thing." – Dominic Harvey

"There are worse things in life than death. I'm watching The Ridges." – Rachel Glucina

Polly Gillespie, however, called for an end to the online hating:

"I have a theory. Girls hating on the ridges are not as pretty or fun as they think they are... ;)) just enjoy! Stop being so bitchy & relax. (sic)"

One TVNZ staffer also learned that it’s best to log out of the work Twitter account before sharing personal views on reality TV shows.

"I feel really bad that Jaime may not get an en suite or walk-in wardrobe in the new house." – ONENewsNZ. (It has since been deleted from their account – but not before screengrabs were taken of it by fast-thinking punters.)

And Guy Williams summed up much of the sentiment about the show online:

"That was terrible... I can't wait for next week."

Show:
Newest First
Oldest First
Top Rated
Most Replies

95 Comments

1. Tessa04:32pm Saturday 15th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I don't understand why everyone is hating on this mother and daughter duo; I actually like Sally Ridge, I wish she was my interior decorator, she has wonderful taste! I'm not sure about her daughter, I don't know much about her so no comment there. If I had time I would've watched their series last week.

2. Debbie03:07pm Saturday 15th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I thought the Ridges was some light entertainment and even made me laugh at times Theres no need for nasty comments if dont like don"t watch. Im more concerned of the fact that people in this country are trying to own water I would of thought that myself and all New Zealanders in that case have rights, next they will want to own the air we breathe enough is enough.

1 Reply
  3. Teresa07:19am Saturday 15th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

A sad day for entertainment in this country. What utter garbage.

4. Women Gag For Me05:29pm Friday 14th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

John Banks must resign as he is a fraud !!!

5. Belle02:20pm Friday 14th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

The more the media gives this attention, the more people feed off it, point is good or bad everyones talking about it...yeah Like they did with the GC.. if ya wanna stick it to em, tune out and don't talk about it. NZ on air should really sort their #$%$ out and not put bull#$%$ on TV...

6. Linda01:03pm Friday 14th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Garbage.Think I would be like Matthew Ridge and cross the street if I saw them coming.Embarrassing.No I didnt watch.That was on the promo.

7. Richard carl11:13am Friday 14th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

no im not a relative and have never met them.im also not a nasty person and did enjoy it.and perhaps you could learn to spell properly before you comment.

1 Reply
  8. 32 0
    Adam09:15am Friday 14th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

The debut episode of 'The Ridges' failed to break ratings records - no surprises there!! Wednesday next week 'The Ridges' ratings will take an even deeper plunge simply because of 1 word - GLEE!!

9. vicki05:39am Friday 14th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

jamies got kankles

10. Penny Issue05:35am Friday 14th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Polly picks on me people!

1 Reply

Entertainment Poll

What are you watching at 7pm?

What are you watching at 7pm?